Monday, May 13, 2013

Myth #3: Authors keep dozens of copies of their books on hand

Maybe first-time self-published authors do. Yes, it is very exciting to see a box of books with your name on them. However, I’ve discovered that keeping large quantities of books on hand isn’t wise unless I don’t want to be able to get into my closet. Instead, I try to plan book signings in advance and order copies accordingly for the event.

True story. This is my conversation with a sweet senior lady about my book.

Lady: I’d really like to buy your books. I’ve heard great things about them.
Me: Thank you! I’d love for you to read them.
Lady: Can you get me copies of them?
Me: Well, I don’t have that many left since my last book signing.
Lady: *Incredulous face*
Me: (Hurriedly) But you can go on Amazon and order them. It’s really easy.
Lady: What’s Amazon? I’ve never heard of it.
Me: I’ll look in my closet and find a copy.
Note to fellow writers: Make exceptions where appropriate unless you think you can successfully explain that Amazon is not just a river in South America but also an online shopping experience that has nearly everything imaginable for sale.

No comments:

Post a Comment