Sunday, October 20, 2013

Pumpkin Patch Reminders

Yesterday, my friend invited me to go with her to a pumpkin patch. Believe it or not, I had never been. (I thought pumpkins grew on the store shelves at Publix and Walmart. Just kidding.)

So, she introduced me to a “real” pumpkin farm where rows of pumpkins line hay bales, sit on counters, and rest in rustic carts. I was like a kid in a candy store. I couldn’t decide which one I wanted.


There were gourds and pumpkins of all colors, sizes and shapes, Cinderella pumpkins, and pumpkins so large I probably would have had to roll them to the car (had I the desire or money to buy one).

 


Some pumpkins were all covered with warts, so that they looked more like a storybook witch’s nose than a pumpkin.

“Eww,” I said, pointing to one completely disfigured and covered with warts.

“What do you mean?” my friend asked. “Warts give it character. It’s beautiful.”

I finally settled on a stout pumpkin with a curved, prickly stem and a multi-colored, little gourd with a pointy bottom (so hence, it rolls around on my desk).



Aren’t you thankful God isn’t picky in choosing His children? He loves us – tall or round, smooth or blemished, warts and all.

And our flaws do give us character, as my friend reminded me. A pumpkin patch would be boring if all the pumpkins were identical. It’s the variety and the imperfections that make pumpkins so unique and interesting. No one pumpkin is just like another.

Praise God He can use us – in spite of ourselves and our flaws – and that He’s uniquely designed us with a specific purpose in mind, one that will ultimately glorify Him.

Psalm 139:14 – “I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvelous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well.”

No comments:

Post a Comment