Saturday, February 16, 2013

First Writer's Conference: Goals and Thoughts

I’m excited to be attending my first writer’s conference this year. The Florida Christian Writer’s Conference starts February 27 and runs through March 3.

As I start planning for it, I just want to share a couple “first time attendee” goals of mine.
·         Be as prepared as you can, but don’t stress about it.
·         Contribute as appropriate, but focus more on listening.
·         Have an open mind and a desire to learn.
·         Enjoy the experience!
As a self-published author, I am also especially curious to see how Christian publishers, agents and authors view self-published authors and their works.

·         Do they respect the entrepreneur spirit and personal discipline of self-published authors?
·         Do they discredit self-published works as second class?
·         Do they want to discover well-written self-published works?
·         Do they welcome or resent self-publishing?
Stay tuned! The writer’s conference experience has been described to me as “drinking out of a hose,” so I know I will be overwhelmed (in a good way) with information which I look forward to sharing with you.

Have you been to a writer’s conference before? What advice would you give first time attendees?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment